Monday, February 10, 2014

Is this the Olympics or the Hunger Games?

I have to say, this weekend was another great weekend that lived up to its potential. I'm beginning to think I live for the weekends, which is something I have never done before (seeing as most of my life I have worked in the service industry and have spent most of my weekends at work!).

Something I have really enjoyed these past few days is watching the Sochi Winter Olympics!  We watched the opening ceremony on Friday night and even though I am not a Russian citizen it was still such a powerful performance to watch, chronicling the history of their country.  They have come such a long way since being confined as the Soviet Union and even the technological and cinematic elements of the ceremony showed that magnificently.


The one thing that, I think, made viewers across the globe chuckle a bit was when the 5th olympic ring/snowflake was delayed in opening--the memes going around the internet about it are hilarious.  I know some saw it as a controversial mistake, maybe one done on purpose (there was a even a rumor that the person who did it was found dead the next day, hunger games style!), but we just kind of laughed it off noting that if that was the only thing that went wrong in the whole ceremony it was still pretty amazing.


My favorite sport from the winter olympics has got to be figure skating.  I think it is definitely one of the sports that requires the most discipline and mental effort, not to mention the physical exertion.  I have SO loved watching all of the young ladies and pairs from team USA perform, along with the top contenders from Russia, Canada, Italy, and Japan.  Ashley Wagner and Gracie Gold are my girls!


Another highlight of my weekend was attending Padres Fanfest with my family.  We have always been avid Padres fans (no bandwagon fans here!) and baseball is my FAVORITE sport (I started playing when I was 5!) so the start of the season is a big deal in this house.  The Padres are notoriously a "bad" team, with little to no funds to attract the good players, but we love them anyway.  They are the perpetual underdog and I really do think one of these years they will surprise us all and maybe clinch the pennant if not go all the way!  At Fanfest we got to tour the clubhouse and dugout, "run" the bases, meet players and coaches, and lots of other freebies.  San Diego is such a beautiful city and in comparison to my time in college spent at Dodger stadium, it is always nice to come home to this pretty place.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS